0

To blog or not to blog?

Posted by Karen H on 12:09 PM
Original posted Jun 18, 2009

Sometimes you see something
in a different way
The future is social! Blogging can be a way to reach out and touch someone without a Hallmark card.

Some reason to blog

  1. It’s free
  2. It’s a good way to write about something you are passionate about
  3. Engagement- Using a social tool like a blog can reach students on their turf
  4. It’s easy
  5. It’s a way to create a Community of Practice
  6. It’s collaborative, open
  7. It’s a good way to store your stuff. You can’t loose your ideas, if you write them down.
  8. Students do it!
  9. Networking.
  10.  It’s fun!

I’ve been blogging since last year. One of my blogs What it says- What it Means is where I investigate media and its meaning. I use this one as a way to keep my ideas and questions to share with students and friends. Sometimes I’ll open my blog in class to show a Youtube video- it’s embedded, so there will be no ads there- except that is the ones I am showing! Sometimes I’ll ask my students to view certain posts and comment inside our LMS (Blackboard) It has brought a different dimension to my class, and sometimes it’s just a way for me to write something that I need to say..Like, what’s with that? Oh really! Now I’ve seen everything!

I’m also partly seconded to our Learning Innovations division assisting faculty with technology. Just before I started this program, I began my Captain Future E-learning blog to talk about the various interesting ed tech things I’ve been finding and experimenting with. What’s good about this one for me is that both my blogs have become storage spaces for things I’m using or others may be using. In the Web 2.0 world sometimes there are so many new things that the only way to keep track and remember is to document and discuss.

But blogging is a job, if you are serious about it. Sometimes just a visual and a question can do the trick.

If you like to write, blogging is fun. If you’ve got something to say or share it’s great. If you don’t want to do it yourself-there’s always student blogs. It’s amazing the things they will come up with!

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Technology Troubleshooter CTER 2009 All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.