0

Troubleshooting: 4 – The Evil Empire Strikes Back! Me vs Microsoft

Posted by Karen H on 1:24 PM
Geek & Poke Tell it like it is about Microsoft
Original Post Aug 2, 2009

Well, if you’ve been reading these posts, you’ll know I’m the happy owner of a new MacBook Pro. I transferred all my stuff and magically everything worked fine–all my programs applications even my Microsoft Office 2008. I was a happy camper, that is until the Evil Empire Struck Back. Here I am all la dee da doing my CTER work and up pops Microsoft with a message that there’s an update to Microsoft Office. Innocently, I click to download, load and restart. This seems all normal, but with Microsoft you never know. Now it’s back to my CTER work and click a file.

WHAT????

Microsoft is telling me that I already have a copy of Microsoft Office on another machine so this one is now invalid and I’ll need another registration number. They are evil I tell you EVIL!

So now what? Are they kidding? Do they really think I’m buying another copy just because I have a new computer?

OK, let’s think this out. After a little bit, I decide to uninstall and do a reinstall with the disk and see where that gets me. So far so good. I decide to check if it works before I install updates.

Yes, it does. We are rolling.

Let’s install update one, and check. Yes it works!

Now we are on to update 2. Check! She works.

Update 3, let’s go!

DRATZZZZZ

Message from EVIL EMPIRE: You have this version of Office on another computer!

That’s it. It’s War!!!

Uninstall! Reinstall Disk, Install Update 1, Install Update 2.

Click: Do not allow incoming Network Connections from Microsoft!

Do not update program!

Do not update program!

Do not update program!

_________________________________

Analysis

Description of the problem/context:

Microsoft has disabled my program after update

Possible Causes: I have this version with this registration key on my other MacBook Pro. Microsoft is EVIL

Possible Solutions: Buy another copy of Microsoft Office (NBL=Not Bloody Likely!) Reinstall

Action Taken: Uninstall, Reinstall, update 1, update 2, update 3 -opps. Do not pass go, step back- uninstall, reinstall, update 1, update 2, Stop! Click do not allow Microsoft Incoming Connections

Reflection: Microsoft is EVIL! When installing a Microsoft program that has been on another machine, check each update as you go to make sure it works. DRM is evil. Maybe it’s time to get serious about Open Office

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Technology Troubleshooter CTER 2009 All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.